Mr Addison has been involved in high quality basic-science and clinical research throughout his training and career.
As a medical student at Cambridge University, he obtained a First Class degree, one third of which was awarded for his original laboratory research project in Pharmacology. As a trainee in eye surgery, Mr Addison completed clinical research projects in ocular oncology at St Bartholomew’s Hospital, London and in cataract surgery at The Cambridge University Teaching Hospitals. During two years of full-time clinical and laboratory research on the molecular genetics of inherited human cataract at the UCL Institute of Ophthalmology, Mr Addison discovered and published papers on novel molecular genetic causes of inherited cataracts. He was awarded his Doctorate of Medicine degree after completing his thesis, which is accessible via The British Library.
As a Consultant, Mr Addison has continued to be actively involved in research, with a special interest in novel therapies to treat Medical Retinal and Uveitis disorders. He is currently co-investigator for the European post-authorisation safety study on Ozurdex for Retinal Vein Occlusion and Uveitis. He aims to ensure that his patients have access to the very latest cutting-edge therapies for their conditions, which he can deliver to them as soon as there is clinical evidence to support their use, often having been closely involved in generating that evidence or trialling those treatments in local, national and international studies.
Please find below a list of Mr Addison's publications and presentations:
PUBLICATIONS in Peer Reviewed Journals
1. Agrawal R, Gonzalez-Lopez JJ, Nobre-Cardoso J, Gupta B, Grant R, Addison PKF, Westcott M, Pavesio CE. Predictive factors for treatment failure in patients with presumed ocular tuberculosis in an area of low endemic prevalence. Br J Ophthalmol. 2015 Jul 17. pii: bjophthalmol-2014-306474. doi: 10.1136/bjophthalmol-2014-306474. [Epub ahead of print]
2. Agrawal R, Bhan K, Balaggan K, Lee R, Pavesio CE, Addison PKF. Unilateral Acute Maculopathy Associated with Adult Onset Hand Foot and Mouth Disease: Case report and review of literature. Journal of Ophthalmic Inflammation and Infection 2015 Feb 5:1. Click here to read.
3. Agrawal R, Gupta B, Gonzalez-Lopez JJ, Rahman F, Phatak S, Triantafyllopoulou I, Addison PKF, Westcott M, Pavesio CE. The role of anti tubercular therapy (ATT) in patients with presumed ocular tuberculosis. Ocul Immunol Inflamm. 2015 Feb;23(1):40-6. Cick here to read.
4. Agrawal R, Addison P, Saihan Z, Pefkianaki M, Pavesio C. Optic neuropathy secondary to Linezolid for Multi Drug Resistant (MDR) mycobacterial spinal Tuberculosis. Ocul Immunol Inflamm. 2015 Feb;23(1):90-2. Click here to read.
5. Couture S, Agrawal R, Woods K, Lockwood D, Pavesio CE, Addison PKF. A case of panuveitis with hypopyon due to presumed ocular leishmaniasis in a HIV patient. Journal of Ophthalmic Inflammation and Infection 2014 Aug; 4:21. Click here to read.
6. Agrawal R, Fernandez-Sanz G, Bala S, Addison PKF. Desegmentation of Ozurdex implant in vitreous cavity: report of two cases. Br J Ophthalmol. 2014 Jul;98(7):961-3. Click here to read.
7. Addison PKF, Rajendram R, Bradshaw H, Hykin PG. Using data from the Cataract National Dataset electronic multicentre audit to calculate risk of posterior capsule rupture and vitreous loss for patients on current surgical lists. Eye 2011; 25:396-7.
8. Addison PKF, Papadopoulos M, Nischal KK, Hykin PG. Serous retinal detachment induced by topical bimatoprost in a patient with Sturge-Weber syndrome. Eye 2011; 25:124-5.
9. Arora A, Minogue PJ, Liu X, Addison PK, Russell-Eggitt I, Webster AR, Hunt DM, Ebihara L, Beyer EC, Berthoud VM, Moore AT. A novel connexin 50 mutation associated with congenital nuclear pulverulent cataract. J Med Genet 2008; 45:155-60.
10. Addison PKF, Berry V, Holden KR, Espinal D, Rivera B, Su H, Srivastava AK, Bhattacharya SS. A novel mutation in the connexin 46 gene (GJA3) causes autosomal dominant zonular pulverulent cataract in a Hispanic family. Molecular Vision 2006; 12:791-5.
11. Gombos DS, Cauchi PA, Hungerford JL, Addison P, Coen PG, Kingston JE. Vitreous relapse following primary chemotherapy for retinoblastoma: Is adjuvant diode laser a risk factor? Br J Ophthalmol 2006; 90:1168-1172.
12. Addison PKF. Clinical, molecular genetic and functional studies on inherited human cataracts. MD thesis 2006 (University of London).
13. Addison PKF, Berry V, Ionides ACW, Francis PJ, Bhattacharya SS, Moore AT. Posterior polar cataract is the predominant consequence of a recurrent mutation in the PITX3 gene. Br J Ophthalmol 2005; 89:138-141.
14. Berry V, Yang Z, Addison PKF, Francis PJ, Ionides A, Karan G, Jiang L, Lin W, Hu J, Yang R, Moore A, Zhang K and Bhattacharya SS. Recurrent 17bp duplication in PITX3 is primarily associated with posterior polar cataract (CPP4). J Med Genet 2004; 41(8): e109.
15. Addison PKF, Snead DJ, Snead MP. Radiation retinopathy secondary to radiotherapy for lower lid BCC. Eye 2004; 18(12):1273-4.
1. Arya B, Gonzalez-Lopez JJ, Addison PKF. Real- Life Experience with Ranibizumab in the Treatment of Macular Odema secondary to Central Retinal Vein Occlusion within the NHS: Can we CRUISE? Poster presentation at EuRetina Annual Meeting, Nice 2015
2. Triantafyllopoulou I, Gonzalez-Lopez JJ, Gupta B, Rahman F, Addison P, Westcott MC, Pavesio C, Agrawal R. Choroidal involvement in presumed ocular tuberculosis. Poster presentation at Annual Meeting of the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, Denver 2015
3. Addison PKF. Indocyanine green angiography. Oral presentation at Moorfields Macular Course, London 2014
4. Cook C, Addison P, Pavesio C. Keeping an Eye on New Ophthalmic Procedures. Poster Presentation at Infection Prevention Society Annual Conference, Glasgow 2014
5. Arya B, Gonzalez-Lopez JJ, Addison PKF. Earliest real-life experience using Lucentis for branch retinal vein occlusion in the NHS: BRAVO? Oral presentation at EuRetina Annual Meeting, London 2014
6. Agrawal R, Fernandez-Sanz G, Bala S, Addison PKF. Desegmentation of Ozurdex implant in vitreous cavity: report of two cases. Oral presentation at EuRetina Annual Meeting, London 2014
7. Couture S. Agrawal R, OmarA, Gupta R, Pavesio C, Addison PKF. A rare case of post-kala azar ocular leishmaniasis. Poster presentation at International Ocular Inflammation Society Congress, Valencia 2014
8. Fernandez-Sanz G, Bala S, Addison P. Retrospective Evaluation of Outcomes of Ozurdex therapy for Macular Oedema Secondary to Retinal Vein Occlusion. Poster presentation at EuRetina Winter meeting, Rome 2014
9. Bala S, Fernandez-Sanz G, Addison P. Is Raised Intraocular Pressure Secondary to Ozurdex for Retinal Vein Occlusion a Cause for Concern? Poster presentation at EuRetina Winter meeting, Rome 2014
1. Addison PKF. Real-life experience of Iluvien in diabetic macular oedema. Medical Retina Teaching. Moorfields Eye Hospital, Jul 2015
2. Addison PKF. Optimising outcomes in Retinal Vein Occlusion. Retina Frontiers meeting, London, June 2015
3. Gkika M, Addison PKF. Fluoroscein Conference. Moorfields Eye Hospital, Apr 2015
4. Addison PKF. Retinal Vein Occlusion. Medical Retina Teaching, Moorfields Eye Hospital, Apr 2015
5. Addison PKF. Current management of Endophthalmitis. South Thames Regional Study Day, Mar 2015
6. Addison PKF. Diabetic Macular Oedema. Diabetes UK Training, Nov 2014
7. Townley D, Addison PKF. Fluoroscein Conference. Moorfields Eye Hospital, Nov 2014
8. Addison PKF. Moorfields Retinal Vein Occlusion Service. Moorfields Medical Retina Teaching, Oct 2014
9. Addison PKF. Retinal Vein Occlusion Cases. Interactive lecture for Retina Module of Ophthalmology MSc course, UCL Institute of Ophthalmology, Oct 2014
10. Addison PKF. Treatments for Retinal Vein Occlusions. Lecture followed by case-based learning. Ophthalmology MSc course, UCL Institute of Ophthalmology, Sep 2014
11. Addison PKF. Medical Retina Service Audits 2014. Trust Management Board meeting Moorfields Eye Hospital, Sep 2014
12. Addison PKF, Islam N. Appraisal for Revalidation. Medical Retina Teaching. Moorfields Eye Hospital, April 2014
13. Cook C, Addison PKF, Pavesio CE. Reaudit of cases of endophthalmitis post Ozurdex injection. Medical Retina Audit Meeting, Moorfields Eye Hospital, Mar 2014
14. Addison PKF. Managing patients with RVO: advances in patient care. Optomising outcomes through clinical, patient and service perspctives, London, Feb 2014
15. Wong SC, Addison PKF. Fluoroscein Conference. Moorfields Eye Hospital, Feb 2014